Sunday, July 12, 2015

REGRETS


Neelam and Aarti were in a heated argument finishing which Neelam left her daughter home and went to her sister’s house close by.

“I am frustrated Renu Di. My daughter is walking the same path as me. I can see her giving up a bright future for marriage.”

“Have you spoken to her about your fears?”

“Yes, Di – innumerable times! I was 20 when I got married a month before my university results. I always thought I would study further but then I got pregnant and I never could.”

“What did she say?”

“She says she loves the guy and knows what she is doing. She is a topper Renu, just like me. She could be whatever she chooses to be.”

“Maybe she just wants to be a housewife or her aspirations are not as big, Neelam.”

“I don’t know.  I see her. I see myself. I could have been an aeronautical engineer and today I am a teacher. Not that I am unhappy, but...............”

“But you have your regrets.”

“Yes. And being a mother, I just want to protect her.”

“There is only a certain time till when you can protect your children, Neelam. After that you have to let go.”

“But she is just 20 years old, Renu Di – still a baby.”

“She is an adult now, capable of making her own decisions. You can either isolate her and her choices or accept them and help her in your capacity. One will take you away and the other closer to her. Anyways, she had called me.”

“She called you and told you what?”

“Everything. I told her what I felt.”

“And?”

“And nothing. She is coming here to talk to you. She has taken a decision.”
“Did she tell you what it was?”

“Yes.”

“And...............”

“And you need to hear it from her itself.”

Just then, the doorbell rung and Renu went to open the door.
“Aarti!”

~ A Story By Fizaah Faiyaz

2 comments:

  1. Like your story telling... short and sweet.Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words Rajeev... :)

      Delete