Friday, December 25, 2015

ALL ALONE ON CHRISTMAS


Mrs. Grangeller had noticed the new entrant at the Smith’s house, a floor above hers. The Smiths had never really lived at the flat, but a week ago one of their distant relatives had arrived to look after the big house. The girl looked decent, but Mrs. Grangeller hated the fact that with just a few days to Christmas she hadn’t decorated the Smith’s place at all.

For Polly, Christmas had always been spent with family. This was the first year she has to stay away from her kind and things weren’t turning out as she expected. She wished she had more money to decorate the house or the entrance like Mrs. Grangeller had decorated hers. Maybe she could get a star, but the poor girl was running short on cash.

Late on Christmas Eve, Polly kept an envelope as a gift for Mrs. Grangeller outside her door amongst her tree and all the other decorations. When Mrs. Grangeller opened the door early morning, she was surprised to see the envelope. She quickly opened it to find a beautiful picture of her entrance and a letter. She read it out to herself.

“Dear Mrs. Grangeller,

I never did officially introduce myself to you and for that I apologise. Times have been tough for me, especially since it is the Holiday season and I am catching onto any hope that I can find.

Your decorations are nostalgic. They remind me of my home and of better times. They are the motivation that helps me push myself even when I would rather quit.

I hope you like the picture I clicked. I would love to take a similar one of you in front of it, if you will allow me. Merry Christmas and a big thank you for everything.

Your Neighbour,
Polly Smith”

Mrs. Grangeller kept the letter in the envelope and got busy with preparing things for her Christmas lunch. Once everything was ready, she got dressed and climbed a floor to knock on the Smith’s door.

“Mrs. Grangeller!” said Polly in surprise.

“Call me Granny, everyone calls me that,” said the old lady.

“I am so sorry, do come in,” said Polly.

Granny entered the house and looked around. Nothing, no lights, no ornaments, no wreaths, not even a Christmas tree. So she asked the girl, “Not even a Star?”

For a few seconds, Polly just hung her head down, then pursing her lips closely, she said, “It was either the star or the picture.”

“Very well. I assume, you haven’t cooked anything Christmassy either,” stated Granny.

Polly nodded in a negative.

 “Why are you here?” Granny asked her.

“In search of a job. I wanted to work with the legendary photographer Joseph Michaels, but his staff never lets me meet him. And I have already tried other places; they don’t want to trust a newbie. I don’t want to go home and work in a regular 9 to 6 job. I have done that and can’t do that anymore,” confessed Polly.

“Too much of a sob you are. No one should spend their Christmas alone. Come to my house in an hour’s time. And no need to get me anything either. You have already gifted me something beautiful. Just get some more photographs that you clicked,” said Granny and walked towards the door.

When Polly went down an hour later, Granny introduced her to all her friends. Then she told Polly, “My younger brother Jay is in the kitchen keeping an eye on the roast, go and show him your pictures. He may be able to help you out.”

Polly did as she was told and found Granny’s brother a softie like her. Polly felt like family amongst Granny’s guests and waited till the end with Jay to help Granny clean up.

When Jay was leaving, he kissed Polly on the cheek and said, “Kiddo, I would love to have you join me and my team. Come on over to the office after the holidays.” Then he gave her his card and said, “I will inform my staff about you. But if you have any trouble then just show them my business card or call me.”

Polly looked at the card and excitedly told Granny, “Why didn’t you tell me that Jay’s actual name is Joseph Michaels?”

“Because you didn’t ask me,” said Granny and winked. Then she saw Polly opening the door and asked, “You are off so soon?”

Polly returned to take her camera and said, “Come on Granny, we still have to take your pic in front of the Christmas tree. You didn’t think I forgot, did you?”

And while Granny made a fuss, in the end she was the perfect model. Polly and granny captured memories that would last them a lifetime. And this was just the beginning of a long friendship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment