Sunday, December 13, 2015

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS


Rachel was sitting in her office in front of her computer, but she was busy thinking about something, occasionally biting her nails. Pop came the sound on her phone. She quickly picked up her mobile and looked at the WhatsApp message that had just come in. Two seconds later, she frowned and kept the mobile back at its place.

“Why don't you just call him and work this out?” asked Rajiv.

Startled she looked at her boss and best friend and said, “It's complicated and anyways I wasn't thinking about him.”

Rajiv gave a fake laugh. “I have been standing and observing you for the last couple of minutes. You are a bad liar, you know that right?”

“You came here for some work?” she asked him.

“Yup, I was going to Lucky's Cafe for coffee. Care to join?” invitingly Rajiv asked her.

But before she could answer, he pulled her up and took her out. They ordered their coffees and sat opposite, facing each other. Still waiting, Rajiv put his hand forward towards her. Rachel looked at him and raised an eyebrow. He smiled. She gave him her cell. While he was reading her messages, Rachel said, “I don't get it. A few days ago, he was all over the moon for me, couldn’t do without talking and now I'm fighting for his attention. Competing with his work and his other obligations.”

“Are you sure this is not just a phase?” asked Rajiv while returning her mobile.

“I wish it was. I know his phases. He just stays aloof. And I let him be. But this time, he is literally pushing me away, shutting me off.”

The waiter got them their coffees and for the next few minutes both sat in silence with the warm beverage not comforting Rachel’s soul at all. “I don't get it when people can't handle the responsibility of being in a relationship why get into one? Do they think it’s going to be a walk in the park?” asked Rachel.

“And that is why I am not into one,” said Rajiv.

“We are not talking about you, my boy. I am talking about all those guys who liked the girls, pursued them and when she said yes, mentally committed to the relationship, these idiots realise that the girls are too complicated for them to handle,” ranted Rachel.

“But girls are complicated,” jested Rajiv.

“Well, we are the opposite sex. For us, you guys are the complicated ones. Oh wait! You guys are the simple ones, the practical ones, the ones who pride themselves on hiding your emotions,” quipped Rachel.

“Come on! You don’t believe in stereotyping people!” stated Rajiv, angrily.

Rachel covered her face with both her hands and said, “I don’t”, then removing it, she confessed, “It's just that I am frustrated. Some girl in his past broke his heart while some boy broke mine. And we are walking around with those baggages giving each other a hard time.”

“It’s not fair,” remarked Rajiv

“It’s not,” agreed Rachel.

“This doesn’t solve the problem. What do you plan to do now?” questioned Rajiv.

“He's an amazing human being and being with him brings me joy. But he is not my world. And I don't want the fights or our egos to destroy the respect we have for each other,” she said.

“Breaking up with him then?” probed Rajiv.

“Stop asking so many questions Rajiv. Right now, I will just call him and talk it out. And if splitting up seems like the only reasonable solution then that's what we will do. But and this is a big but,” she smiled and continued, “If we can work it out, me with my insecurities and he with his fears, then there is nothing like it.

With their coffees over, they paid the bill and got up. Rachel still had her mobile in her hand. While walking, she dialed a number and said, “Hi, baby!”

No comments:

Post a Comment