Sunday, September 11, 2016

WE CAN BE JUST FRIENDS


"We can be just friends, nothing more. We can be just friends," said Meru over and over to herself.

Her train of thought was broken by a pop sound on her mobile. She had a message.

'I am in the café. Where are you?' it read

The cafe was double-decked and spacious. Meru was sitting in the most unnoticeable corner on the ground floor.

'It's a big place', she typed and sent, then waited for a minute to see if he would look for her. Feeling bad, she got up and went near the billing counter in the front. She could see him standing and looking around.

"Hi Lenny!" she put her hand awkwardly.

"Hi Meru!" he said, first shaking her hand and then drawing her in to give her a hug.

The next few seconds they debated where to sit, finally picking a corner table.

"Gosh! You still look so beautiful. How many years since we last met?" Lenny asked.

"6 years since college," she said not looking at him.

"What's wrong? Why are you stealing glances?"

"Why are you staring at me? It feels as if you are going to eat me," she complained.

Meru immediately covered her face with her hands, when she heard him say, "I wish".

Just then the waiter came in to take their orders. A cup of tea for her and a cappuccino for him. When the waiter had left, she realised he was still continuously looking at her.

"You are acting weird because of the elephant in the room," he said.

She smiled. He continued, "Fine. I will say it. We both know that we like each other. There I said it. Can you act normal now?"

They spoke about different things over coffee. Caught up on missed times. He sounded madly in love with her. Which was suffocating for her since she wanted nothing to do with love. Exhausted after an hour, she said, "I am getting late. Can we leave?"

He paid the bill, much to her protest and they started walking towards the parking.

"This is where we part," she said stopping near her car.

"So, when are we meeting next?" he asked her.

"Actually, there is something I have wanted to tell you from the time you came in. It's true that I like you, but I can't be more than friends. This heart has no love left in it to give to anyone," she said.

For a few seconds, both stood quietly. She avoided his stare again.

"Look at me, Meru," he said.

When she looked at him, he caught both her hands in his and said, "Right now, I don't need your love. I have enough for us both to share. Take all the time you want, I will be waiting".

As if a big load had been relieved from her shoulders, Meru started to cry. Then slowly she moved closer and rested her head on his chest.

8 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. Would love to know more. The past and the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know there is a Meru in all of us at some point Diksha :)

      Delete
  2. There could be a second part...would love to read a continuation... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the real story starts after this story Mani... But I am yet to think of their future... Do you have any ideas?

      Delete
  3. Where did Meru spend all her love?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!! I would love to hear part 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I am actually out of ideas for these two... Any suggestions Monish?

      Delete