Sunday, September 4, 2016

WHY WE CAN'T BE TOGETHER


"Liz, what the hell are you writing at 2 in the morning?"  asked Sasha to her flatmate.

Sasha had to gone to sleep in her room after dinner and when she had last spoken to Liz, the girl was planning to go to sleep as well. Liz was the early sleeper, so seeing her awake was a little alarming for Sasha, who had got up for a glass of water.

"Can't you see I am writing a letter?" Liz said irritatedly, then continued to write.

"My prehistoric beauty, who is the lucky receiver of this letter now?" Sasha asked standing just behind Liz.

"I am writing it to Andy," said Liz.

"Wow. So it's a love letter. So cute," said Sasha excitedly.

"No. It's not."

"Then which one? You have already done the - 'why I love him' letter, so it can't be that. Then?" Sasha asked baffled

"If you are trying to pull my leg then it's genuinely not funny."

"No Liz, seriously I don't know any person who writes a list of things they like about their partner. I mean, who does that?"

"I do that. And I have explained you the reason a no. of times. But you never get the idea, do you?"

"Well, don't you always look at the list when you are too angry with Andy?" said Sasha and went into the kitchen to get a glass and a bottle of water. She kept it on the table where Liz was writing. Then she sat on the chair opposite to her friend and said, "I know the reason and the funda behind it. Been with you longer than Andy and the two before him".

Liz just looked up, smiled and went back to her writing. Sasha drank the water and kept the glass and bottle in the kitchen. But curiosity was killing her, so she sat opposite to Liz again.

"You are doing that staring thing, aren't you? If I tell you, will you leave me alone?" asked Liz.

"Promise," said Sasha excitedly.

"Fine. It's the 'Why we can't be together' letter. In short, its a detailed break up letter".

"You are breaking up with Andy? Honestly, I am not surprised by the way things were going, but could you please do it personally rather than through a letter. Remember how crushing it was when no. 2 did it to me, by text," intervened Sasha. She was about to continue but stopped on seeing the stern manner in which Liz was looking at her.

"Idiot. I know how soul crushing that can be. I am planning to meet and talk it out with him, but the letter explains the real reasons why. I know on his face, I wont be able to say the true reason. No one can! I am being my honest self in this," said Liz.

"I don't understand," said Sasha.

"Well, too often we breakup and give shitty reasons for it. People say things like - its not you, it's me or I will always love you or my parents aren't agreeing - Blah blah blah. Any rubbish shit as long as it makes the other one feel OK and you not a villain in their eyes. But in the long run, it doesn't help. We are still broken and as much damaged," said Liz.

"So, where does the letter come in?"

"Honestly, I am just writing the truth of why we shouldn't be together and why I want to break up. It also has some of his quirks that I don't like and some of mine that he hates. Reasons enough for him to move on and hopefully learn something," said Liz

"You are crazy," said Sasha

"Nope. It's the most sane thing I have ever done. Try it the next time you breakup with someone. He will thank you and you will thank me. Now please leave," said Liz and continued writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment