Tuesday, October 18, 2016

DEATH OF A FRIENDSHIP


Eons have been written about breakups, love and even friendships. But what about the death of a friendship? And I don't mean the types where you call each other friends, but in reality just hate each other. No, I mean the type, where each of you have enough secrets to blackmail the other and often a single word or song or incident can trigger a memory to cherish.

What happens when such a relationship breaks off? Maybe you saw it coming, maybe you didn't. Maybe you initiated it, maybe they did. But it is a sad event and often needs to be grieved in the same manner as a death.

And I say this because there have been times when you have lost touch with your friend, but you can always call them or message them and start where you last left. But not when the friendship is dead. That is another story. You can't fight, you can't shout and you can't even cry. And even if you do, the person has stopped caring or shows that they don't care.

And it hurts like crazy. Because what it signifies is that a person who you thought understood you or was your twin or more like a sibling wasn't as invested in the relationship as you. Or that they never understood you in the first place, but you never realised that. Then that's what you get served. You deserved it!

I have lost friendships and people have given upon me. And I still carry the scars of abandonment, even though they took place years ago.

I don't really know why I carry them around, but I still have images, videos and proofs that our friendship not just existed, but thronged and flourished evoking jealously in many. Maybe it is because I need those proofs as reminders, that I am a wonderful person capable of forming bonds - pure and true. Or maybe I am just waiting for the day when I can look at them and not feel an iota of pain.

Well, with time I have realised that in the end you need to live in the present. And only relationships that are honestly worth will survive.

So, the next time your best friend tells you that they do not want to be friends (most often they just ghost you), thank them, then wish them luck and take your time to mourn. Do not contact them unless it's an emergency and hopefully the healing will be faster.

Like I believe, death of a friendship is not the end, but a beautiful opportunity to start afresh with someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment