Sunday, October 2, 2016

THE STORY OF US


"I want to breakup," Stan said.

Lauren knew things weren't going well for the couple, who had just started dating recently. The more efforts she tried to put in, the more he cringed and pulled away. But she always hoped that he would stay. They had been at her house and Stan was just about to leave when he confessed this to her.

"I don't understand," she said standing still.

"It's just not working out. I fear all the time that either one of us will hurt the other. I can't live this way Lauren".

The girl stood there for a few seconds trying to think of something to say. Then a few moments later she calmly said, "I understand. It was lovely getting to know you the past couple of weeks anyways. Take care."

While Stan just looked at her, she stepped forward and lightly pecked him on his cheek .

"Take care," said Stan and walked out the door.

Lauren went to shut the door behind him and started crying.

*

"Lauren, I don't know anything. We are going to the mall," shouted Steffeny.

"Remind me why I let you bully me," Lauren asked jokingly.

"Because I am your best friend and you haven't stepped out in a week since your breakup," Steff said.

"Liar. You see me at work everyday, don't you?" justified Lauren.

"Yes, I do. But that's not going out. Anyways, I have to do some shopping for the wedding," Steff said.

"Nice try! Your wedding shopping doesn't start until another month. But let's go out. I am feeling strong today, ready to face the world," Lauren said confidentially.

The two girls went to the mall and were window shopping together when Lauren spotted Stan walking towards them. She quickly did a U turn.

"Run. It's him," she said to Steff.

"What? Where?" Steff wanted to know.

"Just come along," Lauren said and quickly got into a sportswear shop. As Lauren hid behind footballs and hockey sticks, Steff asked, "You can't run away from him like that. Did he see you?"

"I don't think so," Lauren said.

They waited for a few minutes, aimlessly looking at the gears. Bored, Steff finally said, "I think he's gone by now. What happened to the strong girl who was ready to face the world?"

"I was talking about a world without him," Lauren said while walking out of the shop.

*

"It's not funny anymore. That happened more than a month ago. And you are still pulling my leg for it," said Lauren shouting at a door.

Steff was on the other side of the changing room. She opened the door and popped her head out, "Can you hand me the red lace one? Thank you. Stepping in this mall just triggers my laughter, can't help it".

When Steff came out of the room, Lauren asked her, "Did you like any?"

When Steff nodded in a negative, the other one stated, "We have finished all your wedding shopping. Only this is left. What's the problem?"

"I don't know, I am not finding any of these lingeries sexy," confessed Steff.

"For that my dear friend, you need someone apt to model them. Let me try and help you," Lauren said and just wore the brassiere over her T-shirt and posed. Raising an eyebrow, she asked, "Sexy, isn't it?"

When Steff nodded her head, Lauren tried another one and posed like before. The two girls were pleasantly goofing about enjoying themselves when suddenly Steff exclaimed, "Damn, isn't that Stan standing outside?"

Both the girls headed closer to the glass door and realised it was him.

"Do you think he saw us acting like fools?" Lauren asked her best friend.

"Well, you should check with him," Steff said.

Just then Stan waved a slow hi to the girls.

Both the girls moved behind. Then Lauren removed the bra she was wearing over her T-shirt and handed it to Steff. "Here, wish me luck," saying so she stepped out of the shop and walked towards Stan who was leaning towards the railing outside.

"Hi," Lauren said and pecked him on his cheek.

"Goofing around you two as always," stated Stan.

"This is so embarrassing. You saw everything, didn't you?"

"I found it cute. You don't need to feel embarrassed".

"Don't tell me your new hobby is to stand outside lingerie shops and peep inside," she joked.

"Mom's inside that shop," he said pointing to the make-up store next to theirs. "I was just waiting," he justified.

"OK...Well, it was good seeing you. I got to head back, Steff needs me," she said.

"Well, I... I have missed you Lauren. Do you think we could meet again, deliberately?"

"Are you asking me out on a date?"

"Yes!"

"I will think about it, but you will have to make up for it," she said and winked.

Before he could say more, she ran back inside to join an excited Steff.

No comments:

Post a Comment