Sunday, September 25, 2016

WHEN HE SAYS HE WANTS TO BREAKUP


"Hey baby," said Myra and gave Jenil a kiss on the cheek as soon as she entered the house.

"How come you are back so early? I was expecting you to call me around midnight," said Jenil.

"As the pressure was mounting at work today, I felt like I could think of only two places to run. My house and yours. So, I called it a day and," she gave him a hug and realised that her boyfriend wasn't reciprocating as usual. So she asked him, "What's the matter?"

"Let's sit and talk," he said and took her to the dining table.

"I can't do this any more. We cant be lovers any more," Jenil said plainly.

Myra quietly inspected his face, which was devoid of any emotions. After being in a relationship for 2 years, she thought she knew him too well. Though lately, he had been acting a bit cold, she had dismissed it as a phase. When she realized he was serious, she got up and said, "Wait. Just hold that thought".

She walked towards the bar and poured some whiskey for herself in a glass. She gulped the whole thing down in one go, then poured herself a larger peg. With the glass in one hand, Myra returned to her original seat. She put the glass on the table, but still held onto it. Then she said, "Continue".

Jenil was baffled with her behaviour, but collecting his thoughts, he said, "I know you want to get married and I don't want to build up your hopes. I can't give you that".

"So, what are you suggesting?" Myra asked him calmly.

"We could be friends," said Jenil

Myra started laughing loudly, almost a maniacal laugh. It was hard for Jenil to gauge whether her laughter was genuine or not. Then she suddenly stopped.

"Damn. I just wish I could blame this on someone, anyone. Me, maybe," she said.

"No, Myra. It's not you. It's just that I don't feel the same way about you anymore," confessed Jenil.

Looking at his concerned face, she said, "You always said I understand you better that you know yourself. You my dear Jaan are an emotional fool. And you don't need to give me any reasons because frankly even you don't know why you want to breakup with me. It's just a feeling and you are acting on it. Your emotional side, I adored how you could feel more passionately than others."

"Here," she said pushing her glass towards him, while he looked at her still confused.

"You are not in your senses, Myra".

"Me," she said and then pointing her hand towards herself and moving it from head to toe, she continued, "this is as alive and focused as I can be. You on the other hand are being played by your emotions. I mean, you are just scared of disappointing me... A part of you thinks that I will eventually leave you. So, you are just protecting yourself".

"I...I" tried to defend Jenil.

"What you could have done, instead of giving up was to find the reason to fight on. Maybe I could have helped or maybe not. Whose to say! I have been difficult at times too and we have had our share of problems, but who doesn't? We are a lot better than many of our friends".

She got up and walked towards the exit. Jenil followed her. She opened the door and walked back towards him. She gave him a tight hug and a deliberate kiss. Holding him on his arms, she said, "I will send someone to collect my things tomorrow. Keep them ready". Then she walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment