Sunday, November 13, 2016

EMMA & STEPHEN


He touches his hair with his right hand. Stephen needs a haircut actually, but he is planning to grow his hair till his occupation allows him to. Wants to prove to people that he is a rebel. I look at him quietly eating his salad as we are in the restaurant. He realises it. Suddenly I am the one he has shifted his attention upon.

"Something on my face?" he asks.

I nod in the negative.

"Then?"

Should I tell him? I nod again and he returns to his food. On his last morsel he signals the waiter for the menu.

"Dessert?" he asks.

I nod again. I should tell him something at least.

"You are mighty quiet tonight. What happened?"

"Work stress" I lie.

"Isn't it always? I mean we are hustlers Emma, each trying to succeed the way we can. Don't beat yourself over it," he advises.

I nod again. I need to tell him.

"I want to go dancing with you," I finally open up to him.

"I can't dance and you know that," he replies.

"I can and I am a very good teacher," I confess.

"We'll see," he diverts.

I look at my watch while he is ordering some ice-cream. He notices.

"Is it getting late?"

"Nope"

He looks at his watch, then exclaims, "It's nearly 11! Why didn't you say something? But dont worry, I will drop you home".

I smiled. If only he knew what I was thinking. Time really didn't matter to me.

"Emma, you are doing that thing again. Hello! Where are you lost?"

"I like you," I blurted out.

"What?"

"I like you. I know we decided to remain friends, but I can't control myself from liking you. Do you like..."

Just then the waiter got the desserts in. Wrong timing dude. 

We quietly ate our ice-creams, not glancing at each other at all. When we were done, the bill came in and we split it like always.

I should ask him again. But I didn't say a word.

As we stepped out of the restaurant, he asked, "Do you want to hail an Uber or walk?"

My house was walking distance and I didn't want us to part so soon. What if I never see him again?

"Call it from my place. We can walk till there," I said.

He nodded and we started walking side by side, in silence.

Dammit. Screwed this big time. Should have kept my mouth shut. But couldn't, could I?

My thoughts went back and forth as we continued strolling.

"Emma. Emma," he caught me by my arm, "your laces have come undone".

I stared at his face again. We had stopped walking now. As I stood there trying to fathom his words, he quickly bent down and tied my laces. Then getting up he gave me the tightest hug.

"I adore you, my lost monkey. A.D.O.R.E. A little more than 'your like' and a little less than love."

Tears of joy rolled down my cheeks as we then continued walking, but this time hand in hand.

2 comments:

  1. I have never felt the word monkey can be this romantic. Awee

    ReplyDelete