Sunday, November 20, 2016

GRANDPA'S GIRLFRIEND


"You never told us about your first love, grandpa," said Atharva.

"I haven't? That's weird. Are you sure?" asked Grandpa.

Atharva nodded in a positive and the old man knew that the adolescent would pester him till he got a reply.

"We were neighbours. She stayed on the ground floor and me on the top. For years I had observed her quietly as she was friends with my sister-in-law and often visited our house. She was unlike the other girls around with fire in her eyes. But I had never spoken to her," said Grandpa.

"Never! Why? This is so sad, Grandpa," said Atharva.

"I liked her, so the moment she came in front of me, I would start blushing and would run away to my room".

"Wow. Those times were sure special, Grandpa," said Atharva.

"I know Athu. At 16, you already have a girlfriend, while at 21 I was in love and couldn't confess it to her," said Grandpa.

"So, when did Grandma come into the picture?" asked Atharva.

"Let's go chronologically, shall we?" asked Grandpa.

Atharva nodded, so the old man continued, "My sister-in-law was very clever. She realised my weird behaviour around our neighbour, so she asked me about it. When I told her the truth, she informed me that talks were already going on for her marriage, so I needed to do something immediately".

"This is getting worse, Grandpa".

"I know. And I felt worse. But I didn't do a thing at all. Just moved about like a tragic hero".

"Then what happened?" asked Atharva, but the old man had stopped the story as he saw his wife walking towards them. The old lady sat on the sofa next to her husband.

"So what are you two talking about?" Grandma asked.

"Grandpa was telling me about his first love," said Atharva.

The old woman looked at her husband and said, "It's been years since I heard this myself. Go on".

"You know about this Grandma?" Atharva asked.

"Yes," smiled Grandma and lovingly looked at her husband.

"Well, on a certain day, we just stumbled into each other on the steps," said Grandpa, then paused as he could see his grandson listening intendly. 

"Come on, Grandpa. Continue," said Atharva.

"I was looking like shit because for the first time ever, she spoke to me and asked - Are you OK?" said Grandpa.

"It was the long beard and the blood shot eyes. The poor girl was scared to hell," joked Grandma.

"Thats so not true," said Grandpa frowning at his wife. Then he continued, "I looked at her beautiful face and as of by magic words poured out of me for the first time. I said - I  am not OK. You are getting married to someone else and I cannot digest that. I love you".

"Wow. This was epic, Grandpa. What did she say?" questioned Atharva.

"Are you ready to marry me?" stated Grandma.

"And I said - Any day," said Grandpa and smiled.

"Then what happened, Grandpa?" asked Atharva.

"Lots of drama. We both spoke to our respective families. In the end, everything was sorted and the same year we got married," said Grandpa holding his wife's hand.

"I had always liked him. In fact, going to meet his sister-in-law was always an excuse to see him," said Grandma.

"What? So all this while you were talking about Grandma! Why didn't you say so earlier?" asked Atharva.

"More fun this way," said Grandpa, laughing loudly.

Atharva got up from his chair and went across to give his grandparents a hug, "Happy 50th Anniversary you two".

No comments:

Post a Comment