Wednesday, December 28, 2016

AAJ JAANE KI ZID NA KARO - A SHORT STORY


I often see reruns of movies that I like. Tonight I had been watching scenes that had friendship as an important theme in unrequited love. Once I was done, I looked at the time. 12 am. I dialled Robin's number. He was the Alizeh to my Ayaan.

“Hey,” he uttered.

Oh, his voice! It made my heart melt each time he spoke. I reply with a hey myself.

“Everything Ok with you?” he inquired.

“I just wanted to hear your voice. It’s been days, since we last spoke,” I answer honestly.

“Oh good. But you are alright, na?” he questioned again.

“Yes, I am fine. Are you busy or can you talk?” I asked.

“Actually, I was just about to sleep. Can I call you tomorrow?” he replied.

I know he will falter. The number of hours and days I had waited for him to keep his promises.
Mujhe tumhare baato pe aitbaar nahin hai,” I said.

He has always had a way with words. His poetry on occasions had made me swoon. But my bluntness left him speechless. You need to know the whole context of our lives to understand him, me and our friendship.

“I can’t believe you just said that,” he finally stated.

“Ha-ha. You don’t have an answer to that?” I challenged him, just to keep the conversation going.

“I do. Just give me a moment,” he responded.

I wait. Then he finally said, “Hmm… I give up. Can’t think of anything to say right now”.

“Let me help you,” I propose. I was clueless about what I wanted to say next. But I let my heart guide me.
“Mujhpe tujhe aitbaar na raha,
Iska mujhe koi gum nahi,
Gila sirf is baat ka hai,
Ke tere bharose ka muhje koi khayal na raha”

I was just jabbing. I screwed up as I could feel the coldness from the other side. It got broken by the clear sound of his hearty laughter a few seconds later.

“Listen, just go to sleep,” I say, a little embarrassed.

“Goodnight and I will call you tomorrow”.

“Good night,” I signed off and cut the call.

Softly I sang a song, “Aaj jaane ki zid na karo”.

3 comments: