Sunday, July 31, 2016

WHAT DOES MY DREAM MEAN?


"I don't know how dreams can be regressing. You think you have learnt to let go of your past. But BAM! one bad dream and you are sucked back into it," said Lily to her therapist.

"Did you see something in your dreams?" asked Dr. Harper as he sat opposite to the couch where Lily was lying, writing his notes.

"I saw him in my dream. HIM, Dr Harper. HIM and I could touch and feel him besides me," said Lily.

"Tell me about this dream of yours," said Dr. Harper.

"I was sitting with him in my school and all our friends were there. But we were not kids, just grown up versions of ourselves. I was late or something and he had one seat besides him, yet I chose to go past him and sit a few rows away. I knew he had blocked that seat for me," said Lily.

"How did you know that he had blocked the seat for you?"

"There was a newspaper kept on the seat. Wait, now I am confused. Was the paper kept there before or did I keep it while crossing him?" wondered Lily.

"You don't recollect?" questioned Harper.

Ignoring his question, Lily continued describing her dream.

"Then the bell rang and all students ran away, except us two. I was ignoring him, probably angry at something and he was furious that I hadn't sit next to him. Yet he got up from his seat to come and sit right opposite, facing me. He had the newspaper in his hand and started to read. I just sat there observing his face," confessed Lily.

"What were you feeling at the time?" interrupted Harper.

"Anger and then love. I slowly rubbed my hand to his arm, gently, very gently. But he continued reading the newspaper. Oh! Dr. Harper, why couldn't the dream stop just there. I touched him after three whole years," said Lily.

"Continue..." pushed Dr. Harper.

"I think I too started reading the paper. And then suddenly, out of nowhere, this girl in her early 20s walks in the class with a tiffin in hand," said Lily.

"It was his wife that you saw, didn't you?" quizzed Dr. Harper.

"I am not sure, but it must have been her. Or a personification of her. Anyways, she came and stood next to him and I realised I didn't belong there anymore. So I quietly got up and walked out of the classroom, closing the door behind me. I think I was smiling," said Lily.

"What were your thoughts that time?" asked Dr. Harper.

"Quite serene. No anger, no disappointment, no love and no noise. I would call it rather peaceful," said Lily.

"OK," said Dr. Harper and closed his book. Then he continued to speak, "I am happy for you Lily. You have finally found your closure. Come, let's have some tea".

Lily was surprised. She sat up, but refused to leave the couch. Dr. Harper too continued sitting in his chair.

"What, you still haven't got it? I thought you were more intelligent than that," teased Dr. Harper.

"Come on, don't be such a pig," said Lily.

"So, no tea?" asked Dr. Harper and then closed his eyes and pretended to ignore her. Lily realised it was futile talking to him any further, so she lay back on the couch and started contemplating everything.

After a few good minutes, she got up and went near Dr. Harper.

"Dr. Harper, I got it, I finally got it," she rejoiced.

"Then tea it is".

No comments:

Post a Comment