Sunday, August 7, 2016

UP IN THE AIR


Greece. Kendra had picked Greece because she had always wanted to visit the beautiful country, but couldn't. Patiently she went through all the airline procedures and found herself with a middle seat in a row that was somewhere in the middle. A few minutes later she was joined by her fellow passengers and the announcement was made for the plane to take off.

She looked to her left, an old lady was sitting on the aisle seat, Kendra said hi to her. To her disbelief the women looked the other way completely ignoring her. She could hear a chuckle to her right. It was the young gentleman sitting next to her.

"What's funny?" Kendra asked him.

"Nothing," he said still smiling.

"I don't like take off's. It's actually my first time flying alone. Earlier David would always distract me, but now..." Kendra stopped, she was divulging a lot to a stranger.

"Hey, it's OK. I mostly always travel alone myself. And for me the landing is much worse. So, if I can get by, I am sure you can too. Just take deep breaths and if that doesn't help then try talking to some grumpy old lady next to you," he joked.

"Mean, you are. Still making fun of me," she complained.

He laughed and looked out of the window, the plain was just about to ascend. Then he looked at Kendra, who was trying to deep breath, but looked distressed.

"Who's David?" he asked her.

"My ex-husband," she said and covered her face with both her hands. "I can't believe I told you, a complete stranger about him," Kendra said.

"I guess, it didn't go that well," he stated.

"Hey, that's not something for you to speculate," her anger started to flare up.

"Well, I guess not. But you know what is, the beautiful view outside. The sky, the clouds," he said.

"We are in the sky! The take off...it's over?" she said surprised.

He smiled.

"That question on David was intentional, right?" she asked him.

"Do, I look the meddling types?" he questioned.

"I am Kendra," she said putting her hand forward.

"I am Tucker," he said and shook her hands.

The journey was long and over the next couple of hours, the two talked a lot. Tucker was a native who was returning home from an important business trip.

"From the sounds of it, David doesn't sound so bad. Why did you guys divorce?" Tucker asked.

Before Kendra could answer, they both heard the captain announce to prepare for landing.

"Damn, why was this flight such a small one," said Tucker.

"10 hours isn't a short one, Tuck," she said.

"Silly, I was trying to flirt. But honestly I wanted to tell you something". But before he could complete, the plane started to descend and he felt uneasy. Tucker caught Kendra's hand while she was deep breathing. She looked at him and said, "You know one day I came home early from work and found David in bed with my best friend. I was so devastated. I thought something was wrong with me only".

"There is nothing wrong with you Kendra. In fact, I have been wanting to ask you out for the last few hours. Let me be your guide in this beautiful country," he said.

"I believe you, now leave my hand. We just landed in Greece," she said smiling, raising her eyebrows mischievously.

Tucker looked out and realised that the plane had come to a standstill. Then he looked at Kendra and said, "You did that intentionally. David never cheated, did he?"

"Naah. We just drifted apart," she said with a shrug of her shoulder.

Tucker laughed as both of them got up from their seats and walked out of the plane.

"So, how come you are still single?" she asked.

"Well, never found someone who could distract me in an airplane, till now" he joked and slowly caught her hand, while both entered the airbus.

No comments:

Post a Comment