Sunday, September 13, 2015

FLOWER OF THE BUD


Kirti was angrily putting her clothes in the bag, when she heard a doorbell. Kartik was finally home from office. She continued packing her bag as she heard her husband speaking to his parents in the hall. When finally the pleasantries were over, Kartik walked towards his room and stopped at the door at the sight that met his eyes.

“Are you going someplace?”, he asked her

“I am going back to stay with my parents,” said Kirti without looking at him, continuing to pack her back.

“What the hell? What happened in my absence? What are you angry about?” asked a dumb folded Kartik, quickly closing the door behind him.

While she continued to pack, he went and stood behind her. When she still hadn’t replied to his questions, frustrated he grabbed her by the arms and spoke again, “Will you tell me something? Please Kirti, you are scaring me.”

“Fine,” she said.

Kartik let her go and they both sat facing opposite to each other. She on the bed, he on the ground.

“How many years have we been married?” asked Kirti.

“Six years,” replied Kartik.

“And in these six years, have I been a good wife?” she asked.

“Why are you asking such questions. You know I love you,” he said.

“I love you too. But your mother!” she said.

“Is this about …” he said raising an eyebrow

“Yes”, she cut his sentence before he could complete it.

“Now, what did she say?” asked Kartik

“If you and I, both have accepted the fact that we can’t have kids, then why can’t she? Lineage, lineage, lineage. She won’t allow us to adopt, we don’t have any other options. What are we supposed to do?”

“What did she say?” asked Kartik moving closer towards his beloved wife.
“I am used to her occasional taunts. But I have never back answered her. But today, she threatened me and said that she would get you remarried if the need be,” she said.

By now, Kirti was crying. Wiping her tears Kartik said, “You never told me about her taunts.”

“I didn’t want you to bother about it,” she said.

“It is nobody’s fault that we can’t be parents,” he said, got up and walked towards the door.

“Where are you going?” asked Kirti.

“Looks  like my mom has forgotten that you are my wife, her daughter-in-law
 And above all a woman.”

Kartik went towards the hall where his parents were sitting and watching television. Kirti could hear the argument that followed. An hour later, she was still sitting on the bed when Kartik returned.

“Listen, do we have more bags?” he asked

“Yes, two more,” she said.

“Good. Then let’s pack my things as well. I can’t stay in a house with people whose mentality is as low as this,” he said.

~ A Story By Fizaah Faiyaz

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that it was a wrong decision by Kartik.

    A beautiful story! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete